- T. Edward Nickens is an editor-at-large for Field & Stream. He has covered sporting, conservation, and outdoors culture topics for more than 35 years. His work has appeared in Field & Stream for more than two decades, and includes features, his regular column, “The Total Outdoorsman,” five Field & Stream books, and the anthology The Last Wild Road. He lives in Raleigh and Morehead City, North Carolina, with one wife, one dog, a part-time cat, the occasional sightings of two grown children, 13 flyrods, five canoes, two kayaks, two powerboats, and an indeterminate number of duck and goose decoys.
- Covers fly fishing, waterfowling, wilderness canoe and kayak travel, conservation, and wild game cooking.
- Host of several Field & Stream television and digital programs, including The Total Outdoorsman Challenge, Heroes of Conservation, and client-specific sponsored video content.
ExperienceNickens has published more than 1,500 bylined stories, with field work from the Arctic Circle to the Honduran rainforest, and sold more than 300,000 copies of Field & Stream-branded books. He’s won more than three dozen writing awards from the Outdoor Writers Association of America, and numerous National Magazine Award nominations. His work has been collected in more than a half-dozen “best of” collections. His is a contributing editor for Ducks Unlimited magazine, and a contributing editor for Garden & Gun. On camera, Nickens’s has worked as a video talent, field producer, and script writer for projects with the Recreational Fishing and Boating Association, Yamaha Motors, General Tire, and other clients.
EducationNickens graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with degrees in journalism and English. He has been gainfully unemployed for 34 years.
F&S Lightning RoundFavorite Home Waters: Cape Lookout, North Carolina, Favorite Way to Hunt: From a camouflaged canoe, One Place to Return: Labrador for brook trout, Skill Still Trying to Learn: The 80-foot fly cast
- The Lost Art of Sitting Still in a Deer Stand Field & Stream
- What Would You Do with the Last Box of .22 Ammo? Field & Stream
- The Best Gifts for Outdoorsmen Field & Stream